Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One word, but a different meaning!

I can't believe what happened just few hours ago that I wanted to share with you. It's no big issue, I call it an embarrassing, funny? moment. Here's the details;

Mother asked me to go to the market to buy something for lunch.So I rode a trike, and ask the driver to bring me to the "Merkado". I decided to use that word since majority of people speaking in this place speaks Cebuano/Bisaya. I was so confident that the trike driver knows where we are going. Passed few minutes, I sensed something is different. The road we are passing have few people and few trikes on the road. In my mind I just thought," Strange way to go to a Market!" So I decided to check the road signs, we passed by this church with a board sign, "Mercado Street". "Oh, my I think this is not the way", I said in my mind. But I didn't told the driver. After few second, he said to me. "We are here in Mercado". I told him, "Err, is this the market, you know "merkado". As those words went out my mouth. The driver expressed his disappointment to me. I was embarrassed of course! But I just smiled....I didn't bother telling him,"I'm just new here!" (By the way, just migrated here.) And the medium of communication here is not my first language, that's why I experienced this language barrier. Back to my story, the driver drove so fast afterward that he overtook five tricycles ahead of us as we proceeded to the Public Market. I just ignore his disappointment also. As he stopped the trike, I just gave him 3 pesos extra in my fare. And said, "Thank you!".

It was my fault. I know! At least, I learned a lesson to just used the "Public Market" as a word when referring to going to the market than using the "Merkado" .lol. The driver was confused of my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment